Friday 8 July 2016

To follow the Lord

Then the king stood by a pillar and made a covenant before the Lord, to follow the Lord and to keep His commandments and His testimonies and His statutes, with all his heart and all his soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were written in this book. And all the people took a stand for the covenant. – 2 Kings 23.3

When Josiah finally heard the word of the Lord he acted. He made a convent with God that he would follow the Lord and keep his statutes with all his heart and soul. He promised to perform the word of the covenant that were written in the book of the Lord. When he did that the people also took a stand for the covenant.

We tend to follow all kinds of things in our lives. We follow possessions. We follow personalities. We follow politics. We follow passions. We follow popularity.  These things and more entice us to follow along to problems and peril.

There is only one following that we should pursue. Following all those other may work when things are kind of coasting along, but what good are they when things get tough and when life seems to fall apart? Those things all let  us down in the tough times.

But following Christ will never leave us disappointed. When we follow Him through the hard times we find the path that we need and He can lead us though and beyond scared.

So I choose to follow Jesus in the mountains and in the valleys.

Down in the valley with my Saviour I would go,
Where the flowers are blooming and the sweet waters flow;
Everywhere He leads me I would follow, follow on,
Walking in His footsteps till the crown be won.

Follow! follow! I would follow Jesus!
Anywhere, everywhere, I would follow on!
Follow! follow! I would follow Jesus!
Everywhere He leads me I would follow on!

Down in the valley with my Saviour I would go,
Where the storms are sweeping and the dark waters flow;
With His hand to lead me I will never, never fear,
Dangers cannot fright me if my Lord is near.

Down in the valley, or upon the mountain steep,
Close beside my Saviour would my heart ever keep;
He will lead me safely in the path that He has trod,
Up to where they gather in the rest of God.

No comments: