Monday 11 July 2016

The Lord God made the heavens

For all the gods of the peoples are idols, But the LORD made the heavens. – 1 Chronicles 16:26

There are plenty of idols and false gods around. There always have been and always will be. To the outside observer, even a seeking outside observer, all those gods out there can be confusing. If I were god shopping what would I do?

There would certainly need to be something to set the true God apart from all the rest. There would need to be a distinction.

This verse is one place that sets a distinction.

All the gods of the people are idols – but the Lord God made the heavens.

This notion of our Creator God is to me one of the greatest evidences for God. The notion that everything we see around us just happened without any outside influence or design mystifies me. Even without a personal knowledge of who God is I still could not deny the fact that there must be a designer of it all. I don’t need the Bible to tell me that. Someone had to put this all together.

We were at Glendalough the other day. As we drove there and as we walked among the streams and lakes and mountains and forest it incomprehensible to think that this all just happened. When I saw the image of a channel that my heart had created to move move blood past as arterial blockage I could never accept that this just happened through an evolutionary process.

There had to be a Designer and Creator. These things don’t just happen.

And it is our God who made the heavens, and the earth. He alone is worthy of our worship and adoration. Let us give Him the praise and glory he is due.

No comments: