Saturday 4 July 2015

Whosoever will

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. – Revelation 22.17

No one has ever accused me of being a great theologian. In fact no one has ever accused me of being a theologian at all. I have a grasp of Bible theology – but theologian? Sorry, I don't think that is me.

Maybe that is why I have a ‘problem’ with verses like Revelation 22.17 and ‘whoever will let him take of the water of life freely.’ I understand it is not that simple, but there it is. Maybe if I were a better theologian I would get it. It looks like it says that anyone wants to, whoever desires, whoever wills can come and take of this spiritual water freely.  Of  course I always remember the merchant in the market who cried out ‘ho, everyone that thirsts, come to the waters. If you have no money, come.’

I can’t figure it all out, but I am glad that way back in 1974 whosever meant me. I am glad that John 3.16 and its ‘whoever believes in Him’ suited me.

I am happy today, and the sun shines bright,
The clouds have been rolled away;
For the Saviour said, whosoever will
May come with Him to stay.

“Whosoever” surely meaneth me,
Surely meaneth me, oh, surely meaneth me;
“Whosoever” surely meaneth me,
“Whosoever” meaneth me.

All my hopes have been raised, oh, His Name be praised,
His glory has filled my soul;
I’ve been lifted up, and from sin set free,
His blood has made me whole.

Oh, what wonderful love, oh, what grace divine,
That Jesus should die for me;
I was lost in sin, for the world I pined,
But now I am set free.

No comments: