Tuesday 10 February 2015

What the angels wish they knew

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into. – 1 Peter 1.10-12

All through the Old Testament salvation was a mystery. God kept giving glimpses of it, but it was not clear. People put their faith in God and were protected. The prophets, somehow that I don’t understand, had the Spirit of Christ in them. That Spirit led them to talk about our salvation. 

Salvation seems to have fascinated these prophets. They ‘inquired and searched carefully’ even while they ‘prophesied of the grace that would come’ to us.  The searched out how and when He would come. Despite not understanding it all they revealed the mystery which was not made apparent until the coming of Christ. 

Not only did the Old Testament saints not fully understand salvation – it is something the angels wish they could grasp. Though the angels rejoice over every one who comes to repentance they don’t fully understand salvation.

I have to admit that I don’t understand all that. I do know that it helps me appreciate how precious my salvation is. I thank God that I live in a day when I can know that my salvation is eternal and secure and that the great hidden truths of salvation are made clear. I don’t know why the angels can’t understand it – but I am grateful that I can. 

No comments: