Friday 6 February 2015

Kept

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. – 1 Peter 1.3-5

Kept by the power of God. 

That kind of sums the whole question of my inheritance and its security, doesn’t it? A lot of folks spend far too much time trying to keep what they don’t have the power or resources or ability to keep. 

Not only is my inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and fading not away. There is one thing that is, if possible, even more securing. My inheritance is kept by the power of God. If it is kept for me by the power of God how can anything happen to it? For it to be lost someone stronger than the Keeper would have to break in and steal it away. 

And all that was required to receive this eternally kept inheritance was the faith that was required for salvation – what a mighty God we serve. 

And oh what a day it will be when it is ‘revealed in the last time.’  I remember when I got the inheritance cheque I talked about yesterday. It wasn’t for a great amount – but it was still nice to get (although all I did was put it in the bank). It had been eroded and depleted. But it was still something. 

Now, imagine the inheritance that comes with being a joint heir with Christ. Imagine it being incorruptible, undefiled, and not fading away. Imagine all of this being kept by the Great Keeper. When I think of that it ought to make these days a little easier to handle. 

No comments: