Monday 3 February 2014

Quickened

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,… even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),  - Ephesians 2.1,5

I know I should probably use a new word, but I love the way this verse sounds in the language of the beautiful old King James 'and you hath he quickened who were dead in trespasses and sin...Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)'

The word quickened is a great old word. It is the old word for 'made alive.'At one point mercury was called 'quicksilver' because it looked like silver that was alive. But I digress.

The point is that before Christ we were all the real walking dead. We had physical bodies, we had souls, but spiritually we were dead before Christ. Our eternity was doomed.

But Christ stepped in. He brought new life. He quickened us, He made us alive, and He gave us eternal hope.

It is only in Christ that we have new life that replaces the old spiritual death. I could nothing to give myself life.

I can’t help but be reminded of this wonderful old song about our new life in Christ made possible by His quickening.

New Life in Christ abundant and free!
What glories shine, what joys are mine,
What wondrous blessings I see!
My past with its sin, the searching and strife,
Forever gone -- There's a bright new dawn!

For in Christ I have found new life.

No comments: