Sunday 16 February 2014

I bow my knee

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, - Ephesians 3.14-15

I understand here that Paul is just sayung that he was praying for the beleivers. 'Bow the knee' was a way to express prayer. But he could have just said 'Because of this I am praying for you.' But he used the precise words, "bow the knee.' 

'Bow the knee' of course is a sign of submission and capitulation. We bow down to the things that are important to us. We bow down to the things that we favour the most. 

Paul said he bowed his knee to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

But what do we bow our knees to? 

What draws our attention? Where is our real worship? 

Do we bow our knees to our stuff? Do we bow to other people? Do we bow down to the gods of this world? Do we bow to the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life? Do we bow to the thoughts of others?

Or can we say, like Paul, I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ? Not only in prayer, as important as that is, but in every area of our lives. 

No comments: