Monday 16 December 2013

Grace to serve

For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, - Galatians 1.13-15

Sunday morning's service was focused in the theme of grace. I was teaching from Ephesians chapter 2. That is the famous passage where Paul clearly states 'for by grace you are saved through faith.'

And that salvation by grace along is the crux of the matter. 

But grace doesn't stop there. Not only are we saved by grace, we are called to service by grace as well. 

Paul speaks of how in his previous life he had been set apart to be a persecutor of the church. It was 'special calling' and Paul did a great job of it. His zeal exceeded those of the others. 

But God had a greater purpose for him. God, in His infinite grace called Paul to preach the gospel to the Gentiles. 

His calling was clear. God's purpose for him was obvious. 

I am not sure exactly how to apply this passage. I guess all I can say for sure is that God's purpose for us is far superior to any other calling. He calls us from any other calling to His higher calling by His infinite grace. 

As Paul wrote the Corinthians, 'by the grace of God I am what I am.' 

By God's grace his saved me. By His grace  he has given me a ministry to serve Him. May I live and serve in His grace. 

No comments: