Tuesday 31 December 2013

Because I tell you the truth

Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth? - Galatians 4.16

It's a hard thing to realise, but it is nontheless the truth. People do not always want to hear the truth. They act like it, they ask for help and advice, but too often when we give it people will reject it. 

But enough about others. How do you and I respond when people confront me with Bible truth? 

Paul asked the Galatians why they were upset with when all he was guilty of was telling the truth. The  Old Tesament prophets had the same problem. They were often dismissed when they preached things the people did not want to hear. 

I find a pair of challenges here for me as we wrap up yet another year. 

First, how do I respond when a friend lovingly confronts me with Bible truth that I don't really want to hear? Do I get my back up and dismiss it and get angry with them? Or do I see the truth of what they are saying and allow the Holy Spirit to work a change in my life? 

Secondly, what do I do when I have someone I love who needs to hear spiritual truth for their lives? Do I just ignore it because I don't want to deal with their response. Or maybe I get all haughty and arrogant and 'holier then thou' and come across as judgemental? Or maybe, just maybe, I do the right thing. Maybe, after prayer and preparation I go in love and with a humble spirit with the goal of helping my friend. 

The truth is the truth. It is not always easy to give or take, but we can make sure our spirit is right either way. 

No comments: