Monday 2 September 2013

Flee from Idolatry

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread. – 1 Corinthians 10.14-17

I know my explanation of this passage is going to rankle a very dear friend who ministers in a country where one of the big battles is literal worship of physical idols. I do realise that the issue here is actual physical idols. However, I am not so sure I agree with my friend that idolatry only means statues and such.

I love this friend, and I understand his issue, but I think idolatry goes a little deeper and a little farther than just statues to false gods.

Most of us in the west don’t have an idol shelf. We don’t have statues and carvings that we bow down to. But we are guilty of idolatry.

Miriam-Webster’s online dictionary has as its second definition for idolatry: ‘immoderate attachment or devotion to something.’ While Paul’s words had a literal meaning for the Corinthians they also had a figurative meaning for them and for us.

We do have our idols. Our ‘immoderate attachment or devotion’ should be reserved for God It should be to the body and blood of Christ which unifies us as a body. And yet we have ‘immoderate attachment or devotion’ to so many things.

Some seem to have this ‘immoderate attachment or devotion’ to their country or political party. Some have it for their sports team. Others devote themselves to film stars or music stars. Sometimes it is popularity or possessions or prestige or power.

All of this, in my mind, is indeed idolatry. While we can drift towards it God says to flee it. It is interesting how often God tells us to run away from things. We are to run from idolatry just like we run from immorality.

Next time our idols call out let’s remember the Lord’s admonition – and run.


No comments: