Monday 16 September 2013

And have not charity



Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.  – 1 Corinthians 13.1-3

And now we come to what is often called the great love chapter. These is some of the most beautiful and evocative prose in all of English literature. It is beautiful in fact that it is oftent quoted and used by people who have nothing to do with the faith.

But the beauty only adds to the very real and important Biblical theme contained there.

We put a lot of emphasis on a lot of things in serving the Lord. Paul mentions a few of them here. They are all pretty important. He mentions eloquent speech. He mentions prophecy and understand and knowledge. He mentions mountain moving faith. He mentions giving to the poor. He mentions willingness to die for the cause of Christ.

But he makes it clear, all of that is meaningless without one thing. If love is not there it is all nothing, is no more than noise, it is nothing, it is of no profit.

Sometimes we can get so caught up in programmes and plans and purposes and personalities and projects and preach and preparation that we forget about love. True love means sacrifice. It means charity in the positive sense of the word, that is willingness to give of ourselves.

Unless love is behind all that we do we are wasting our time and effort and resources. It is possible to preach and teach and sing and have faith and feed the poor and even die without love.


It's possible, but it means nothing. 

No comments: