Tuesday 10 September 2013

Diversities



There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. - 1 Corinthians 12:4-6

I am really, really glad that we are not all alike. I can't even imagine a church full of mes. What a disaster that would be. The worst part would be me trying to get along with me. Of cause, I can't imagine a church full of anybodies.

Praise God for diversity.

For a good chunk of my Christian life I thought that the way I did things and the way the churches I went to was the only way it could be done. Virtually every church I went to to things almost exactly the same. They sang the same songs, used the same format of service, and had the same way of doing almost everything. Sunday school and service on Sunday morning wee followed by a Sunday evening service. There was Tuesday night visitation, Wednesday night prayer time, and Friday youth activities. They all ran bus ministries for outreach. And so on.

Now there is not a thing in the world wrong with any of those things. God uses them in many places. But it took a while to figure out that that was not the only way things could be done.

I don't believe that God wants us to be cookie cutter Christians. I don't believe He wants us to be cookie cutter churches.

Indeed it took a while to get it. But I am starting to learn that God works in a diversity of ministries. God works in a diversity of activities. He is not bound by customs or culture or country or conditions. We don't all have to worship exactly the same way. We don't all have to use the same hymn books. We don't all have to do the same things the same ways.

It is the same God who works in all. We had better get used to it. 


Heaven is going to be fun in its diversity. I think a lot of us are going to be very surprised at who else is going to be there. I'm glad for a body of diversity. 

No comments: