Thursday 18 July 2013

Strive together

Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me, that I may be delivered from those in Judea who do not believe, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints, that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed together with you. Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen. – Romans 15.30-33

We often talk about prayer partners. As a church planter with support from several American churches I would use these words all the time in communicating with them. We are of course grateful for all of our support. We depend on the financial support to get by and it is always a blessing.

But I have to say that I am even more grateful for our prayer support. I am grateful for those who Paul refers to as ‘striving together in prayer for us.’

Paul was going to Jerusalem to help the saints there. He had no idea of course that he was going to be arrested there. After Jerusalem he hoped to sail to Rome and be refreshed with the believers there. He knew it was going to be difficult. He wanted prayer partners. He wanted them to pray for his protection from the unbelievers, and he might bless the believers, and that he could get to Rome. I like that he told them exactly what they needed to pray for.

I also like that he recognised that prayer was more than just to ‘have a little talk with Jesus.’ True prayer is ‘effectual and fervent.’ It is a struggle. It can even be seen as wrestling with God.’

As I look at my prayer I wonder if I qualify as a striver. Is there anything like striving in my prayer life? I know that there have been times, but sadly a lot of time my prayers are no more than the ‘little talk with Jesus’ I mentioned above.

Prayer is serious. It is hard work. It is indeed striving.


Is that how we pray for each other? 

No comments: