Monday 15 July 2013

Confident about you

Now I myself am confident concerning you, my brethren, that you also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another. Nevertheless, brethren, I have written more boldly to you on some points, as reminding you, because of the grace given to me by God, that I might be a minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering of the Gentiles might be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. Therefore I have reason to glory in Christ Jesus in the things which pertain to God.  – Romans 15.14-17

Paul is a great teacher and mentor. As he starts to wrap up his letter to the Roman Christians he points out some things he has confidence in and some areas that needed improvement. He is confident in their goodness, their knowledge, and that they are able to admonish each other.

Basically the only serious area that needed addressed was the relationship between Jewish and Gentile believers. That was vital because of Paul’s deep desire to see the Gentiles turn to Christ. That in itself is an amazing example of what salvation does to a man.

But on the good side they were filled with goodness, they were filled with knowledge, and that were able to admonish each other.

And that’s a pretty good list of things to be commended for. I wonder when I look at my life if Paul could commend me for my goodness, for my knowledge, and my ability to admonish others.

It is that last one that interests me today. Why would it be such a big deal to be able to admonish each other? Why would Paul include that here?

The ability to admonish each other is something we don’t think about too much, or at least I don’t. But it is important. It is something we need to be able to do. We owe it to each other. True love sometimes includes admonishment.

If I am doing wrong, or responding wrongly, or headed in the wrong direction someone who loves me should always step in to help. It must never be in a harsh, condemning manner with a critical spirit, but always done in love and compassion. Goodness and knowledge are prerequisites for admonishing. While it is good to admonish in the right way, it is foolish to go off without a good spirit and a proper knowledge of the situation. When that happens we become destructive.


Goodness, proper knowledge, and the ability to biblically admonish are vital to the health of a church and its people. May God give us such abilities and the wisdom to carry them out. 

No comments: