Tuesday 23 April 2013

Crucified with Him


knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.  - Romans 6.6-7

Sin. Any of us who have been saved for any amount of time know what a terrible opponent sin is. Sin wreaked havoc on our lives before we were saved, and our flesh still draws us to sin today. Sometimes it seems like we just don’t have any power over sin at all.

We just can’t seem to get past it.

And indeed we can’t. It requires to power of the cross to defeat sin. In fact sin is already defeated.

Paul would later write more on the topic when he wrote ‘I am crucified with Christ. Nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ lives in me.’

When Christ died He freed me from the penalty of sin. He also freed me the power of sin. As a Christian I am no longer a slave of sin. I no not bound to it. I am free.

That means that when I sin it is not because the devil made me do it. It is not because sin is too powerful for me.

It is because I choose to do it.

Why do we choose to become ensnared with something that has no power over us? 

No comments: