Friday 15 March 2013

This I confess


But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets. I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust. This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men. - Acts 24.14-16

Paul's trial would certainly have been a main feature on news sources if they had had them. It certainly would have been streamed live on YouTube or some other source. There would have been a live Twitter feed, perhaps #paulfelix would have been trending. Paul was ready to make his defence before Felix.

'But this I confess...' @jerusalemupdate would have tweeted 'Paul confesses #paulfelix'

But it wasn't the confession everyone was waiting for. 'This is what I confess. I worship the God of my fathers like the people called 'The Way,' which everyone calls a cult.'

Here was Paul, before the most powerful official in the region, using his court appearance as a chance to tell everyone exactly what he believed. 

His confession is a challenge, especially because it is so public.

What did he confess?

I worship according to The Way, the group the Jews call a cult
I worship the God of my fathers found in the Law and Prophets (the Bible they had)
I have hope in God for the resurrection of the dead
I strive to live right before God and man.

The Twitter feed would have read

Paul affirms he is cult member but good Jew #paulfelix
Paul presses resurrection issue #paulfelix
Paul claims all in name of good conscience #paulfelix

There is so much too see in the way Paul handles things. I line with his words about not speaking evil of a ruler’ he started this address with ‘most noble Felix.’ He was not confrontational or belligerent. He just confessed his faith and let God deal with the rest.

I think there is a lot for us to learn there. 

No comments: