Friday 1 March 2013

I must go to Rome!


So the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed. When these things were accomplished, Paul purposed in the Spirit, when he had passed through Macedonia and Achaia, to go to Jerusalem, saying, "After I have been there, I must also see Rome." – Acts 19.20-21

Paul had just wrapped up another visit to Ephesus, a city that was full of wickedness and sin. God did many great works through Paul in Ephesus and ‘the word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed.’

But now Paul was done in Ephesus, or at least he thought he was.. The work there was finished for now. Paul laid out his plans. 'I need to go back to Macedonia and then Achaia.  After that I need to go to Jerusalem.'

'And then I have to go to Rome.'

Paul did not get to Rome immediately, but he was determined to get there. Rome was a great metropolis. It was the greatest city in the known world.

But Paul did not want to go just to see the sights. When we read the book that Paul wrote to the Roman believers we see that he was determined to get there to help them and teach them.

I am not so sure why I am so impressed with this, but it really grabbed me. We read several times about Paul’s efforts to get to Rome. We also read his words to them about his great desire to get there to see them.

Eventually Paul does get to Rome, but he has to go as a prisoner.

I don’t know. I guess I just like a determined guy who kept his purpose in mind and eventually did it. I am grateful for Paul’s example. May I have just a measure of his determination. 

2 comments:

Tipster said...

So you want to go, even if it's as a prisoner? :-)

Naas Preacher said...

Still not sure why I like this. I know he could have avoided it by not appealing to Caesar.