Wednesday 27 March 2013

Debtor


Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles. I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise. So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also.  - Romans 1.13-15

Paul was in Rome. He had made contact with the believers there. The next thing he did was to lay out his purpose and his plan.

Paul then makes something of an unusual statement. 'I am debtor to both the Jews and the barbarians, both to the wise and the unwise.'

This is an amazingly powerful statement. When we a debtor to someone it obviously means that we owe them something. So what did Paul owe the Jews and the barbarians and the wise and unwise?

He owed them the message of the gospel. He owed it to them to go to them and share the good news of Jesus Christ.

'I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome.' That was his way to pay the debt. If he owed them the gospel the only thing to do was to be ready to preach it.

How often do we see ourselves as owing to people to share the gospel with them? Is our readiness any indication of our perception of that debt?

As we think about that neighbour or family member or co-worker or shopkeeper who whoever are we aware that we owe it to them to share the gospel?

Of all the debts we have, where does this one fall out in the priority list? 

No comments: