Monday 10 December 2012

They did not know the scripture


Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there,   and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself.  Then the other disciple, who came to the tomb first, went in also; and he saw and believed. For as yet they did not know the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead. – John 20.6-9

The disciples seem, shall we say, just a little thick at times. After all they had been through and all they had heard they still did not understand the scriptures that said that Jesus would rise again from the dead. When they heard from the women that Jesus body was missing they came to the tomb. They didn’t believe it until they actually saw the empty tomb.

I like the humanity of the disciples. It gives me comfort that Jesus didn’t use superstars. He used people like you and me. Jesus’ death shocked them despite all the times He had told them that He would die. The empty tomb surprised them despite the time Jesus told them it would happen. Just like us they had a hard time believing without seeing.

But you know what? They did believe. And do you know what else? God used them.

While that doesn’t excuse my lack of faith and lack of understanding it does give me comfort and strength to keep on going even when I don’t ‘get it.’ If I stay at it one day I will. 

No comments: