Monday 10 September 2012

The Word was God




In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.  - John 1.1-2

It is interesting to get to this passage of scripture. We are memorising John 1v1-14 as a church and I am preaching a series on the life of Christ. Because of that I have read over this section of scripture over and over again.

And yet every time I read it I am almost overwhelmed at the truth. It takes several verses of explanation for us to get to the whole truth but eventually we find out that Jesus Christ is the Word. That means that the same Jesus who came and died for us was already in the beginning with God. Jesus is, in fact, God.

We are so used to hearing that act that we can almost get used to it if we are not careful. But think about it for a second. The God who was active in creation, the God who already there at the beginning, and the God who created everything died on the cross for me.

I won’t claim to fully understand the Trinity. I don’t think it is possible to totally ‘get it.’ Because I don’t ‘get it’ I choose to accept it by faith.

Jesus tells us in His word that He never changes. He tells us that He is with us always. Since that is the case is there anything too hard for Him to handle? Is there anything He has not seen? Is anything going to take Him by surprise?

In the beginning was the Word – and He is still in this very moment. Praise God for our Jesus who never changes! 

No comments: