Saturday 29 September 2012

Death into life




"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  – John 5.24


It is the ultimate tragedy that the whole world is born dead. Not only are we dying physically from the time we are born, but we are already dead spiritually.

For the first 18 ½ years of my life I was dead in my trespasses and sin. I was eternally doomed. I didn't fully realise it yet, but I was living under a curse of eternal death.

But on a Tuesday night in 1974 everything changed. On the 12th of February 1974 I passed from death to life. I was at a Bible study in a basement classroom of the Widener College Library in Chester, Pennsylvania. The teacher leading the study was talking about the love of God when I saw the words of I John 5.13 – ‘these things have I written unto that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may know that you have eternal life…’

I didn't know that. I realised that what I had was eternal death. So on that Tuesday night nearly 40 years ago I stopped and put my faith in Christ. My eternal death was replaced with eternal life. My new future was secured.

As we go out today we are going to be surrounded by the true walking dead. Most of the people we bump into today are going to be dead people. We have the news to turn them from death to life.

What will we do with that news? 

No comments: