Saturday 15 September 2012

He giveth more grace


And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. – John 1.16

We could almost spend a year just looking at the first chapter of John’s gospel. Every single verse is packed with truths. We are only taking a few highlights.

Verse 16 contains two great truths. First, in Christ we see all the fullness of God. All the fullness of God - every bit of it is revealed in Christ. That means there is nothing we don’t have once we have Christ. ‘Jesus Christ is made to me all I need. Jesus is my all in all. He is all I need.’

When we got saved we got all of Jesus. The problem is that we have a hard time giving Him all of us.

It is the end of the verse though that grabs my attention. What is ‘grace for grace?’

There are several explanations for this. The one that most folks agree with, and the one I think makes the most sense is this. In place of grace God gives grace and in place of that grace God gives more grace. In place of that grace God gives grace.

I think the great hymn ‘He Giveth More Grace’ by Annie Flint really sums it up.

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

When it comes to grace God ‘giveth, and giveth, and giveth it again.’

God’s grace is like His compassions, His mercies, and His faithfulness as expressed by Jeremiah.

Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.

Praise God for ‘grace for grace.’ 

2 comments:

robert said...

Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Thanks for your comments on John, and for the inclusion of Annie Johnson Flint's song. I posted an article on it this morning, so your blog caught my eye.

I am curious, however, as to where one of the stanzas came from ("Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision...). I have books by Annie Johnson Flint going back to the 1920's, and none includes that stanza. Nor does it quite sound like her.

Could you tell me where it came from? As a hymn historian, I'm interested. (Thanks.)

Naas Preacher said...

Here was my source - http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/He_Giveth_More_Grace/

I had never seen it before and didn't do any extra research on it.