Friday 16 December 2011

Trying to reason with God




"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth." But the LORD said to me: "Do not say, 'I am a youth,' For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you," says the LORD. Then the LORD put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the LORD said to me: "Behold, I have put My words in your mouth. – Jeremiah 1v5-9

I like the fact that our Bible heroes are revealed to be people like us. We get to see their flaws and fears. We get to see that they are not perfect.

Two of our heroes, Moses and Jeremiah, had similar experiences when God called them out to serve Him. Both of them tried to reason with God as to why they were not qualified to serve Him. Moses used his stammer as an excuse. Jeremiah used his youth.

Here we see Jeremiah. ‘I cannot speak! I am just a kid!’

‘Don’t tell me you are just a kid’ God responded, ‘you will go where I send you and say what I tell you.’

Scary stuff, huh?

But God didn’t leave it there. ‘Don’t be afraid, I am with you. I will deliver you.’

This is the comfort we need when doing God’s work. It is scary. We will never feel qualified. We will never feel able and the truth us that we are not qualified or able.

But God is able. He is with us. And finally, as He told Jeremiah – ‘I have put my words in your mouth.’

We don’t need to be afraid or intimidated because of our youth, our experience, or our weaknesses. God is with us. He will give us what we need to say.

Let’s stop the excuses and get busy. 

No comments: