Monday 26 December 2011

Go with your heart?




"The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? – Jeremiah 17v9

‘Go with your heart! You can’t go wrong!’ That is the kind of advice that we hear all the time. ‘If you go with your heart you can’t go wrong.’

That sounds pretty good. After all nobody knows more about me than me, right? I know me and therefore my ‘gut feeling’ should be the thing to follow.

The only problem is that I cannot trust me. I know that deep down. I know that whenever I trust me I end up getting into trouble. The reason is pretty simple. When I trust my heart I am trusting something that is both wicked and deceitful.

I am not a young man anymore. If I look back honestly I know how many times my heart has let me down. I think about the trouble I have gotten into because I trusted my feelings.

Sure, God gives us feeling and emotions and ideas, but we need make sure that we compare those things to the only real source of truth. We need to check our feelings out with the advice that never fails.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. The word of God is alive and powerful and sharper than a two edged sword.

Which one is worthy of my trust? 

No comments: