Thursday 23 December 2010

Have you considered my servant Job?


Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?" – Job 1v8

This is yet another one of those Bible accounts that I don’t really understand, and will have to wait until I get to heaven to understand it. Somehow, after Satan and his minions had been about wandering the earth they came into God’s presence. It almost seems like a casual conversation from our perspective. ‘Where have you been Satan?’ the Lord asked. ‘We’ve been wandering around the earth seeing what things are like.’ Satan replied.

The question must have been for our benefit because we know that God already knew.

God carried on the conversation. ‘So, Satan, while you were out there did you notice my servant Job? You know, the one who is upright and blameless and fears Me and shuns evil?’

I am going to look at Satan’s response later. I want to look at just one aspect of this today. Notice how God described Job – ‘Have you considered my servant Job?’

I cannot imagine a greater honour than for God to call me His servant. It is a title that Paul uses for himself. To serve God is the ultimate privilege.

The rest of the book is going to be a test of Job’s servant hood. In the next part of the conversation Satan will claim that Job only served God because he had it made. We are going to find out just how much of a servant Job really is.

We like to call ourselves servants of God. We are going to learn how Job does as a servant when things go bottom up. This will be a great chance for each of us to examine our own servant hood.

No comments: