Wednesday 8 September 2010

Because you prayed

Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to Hezekiah, saying,"Thus says the LORD God of Israel: Because you have prayed to Me against Sennacherib king of Assyria, I have heard. – 2 Kings 19v20

I have said here before that I really don’t understand prayer. Here is another instance that helps in that study.

Sennacharib was a powerful, violent, and vicious king of Assyria. His ruthless empire set marks for cruelty which are rarely matched in history. He had recently defeated the nation of Israel and dispersed them so thoroughly that the Diaspora’s effects last till this very day.

He mocked God with the words ‘who is this Yahweh?’ He felt he was stronger than any god and that no simply god could get in his way of conquest. He prepared to move on Jerusalem and capture the city and conquer Israel.

King Hezekiah knew that they were no match for this mighty army, so he did what we all know to do – he prayed.

The prophet Isaiah came with the answer to prayer – ‘Because you prayed to me against Sennacharib, I have heard you…’

I don’t know how to fit this all in. Maybe I should stop trying to figure it out and believe that God wants us to pray and that the ‘effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much’ and leave it at that.’

No comments: