Tuesday 10 November 2009

It is not in me

So Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, ‘It is not in me: God will give Pharaoh and an answer of peace’ – Genesis 41v16

As far as I can remember this is the first recorded time that Joseph actually mentions God’s part in his life. God was with him. We know that from scripture and his character reflects it. Everyone who came into contact with Joseph knew there was something about him. Everything he did went well.

After two years in prison Joseph is finally remembered. Pharaoh had a dream and wanted an interpreter. The butler rememberd that Joseph could interpret reams and told Pharaoh about him so Joseph was called before the king.

So here is Joseph living in a foreign land. Not only that, he is a slave and a prisoner in a foreign land. When asked about interpreting the king’s dreams he could have said, ‘Sure, I can do that.’ Instead he grabbed the opportunity to take a stand for his God. ‘I can’t do that, but God will give you an answer.’

I am embarrassed to tell you how often I have had chances to bring God into a conversation but did not. Why is it that I have that fear? Why do I feel so weird bringing God into a conversation? If He is truly my hope and my life why is it so hard for me to say His name in those situations?

No comments: