Wednesday 18 November 2009

God’s sovereignty and provision

Then the daughter of Pharaoh came down to bathe at the river. And her maidens walked along the riverside; and when she saw the ark among the reeds, she sent her maid to get it. And when she opened it, she saw the child, and behold, the baby wept. So she had compassion on him, and said, "This is one of the Hebrews' children." Then his sister said to Pharaoh's daughter, "Shall I go and call a nurse for you from the Hebrew women, that she may nurse the child for you?" And Pharaoh's daughter said to her, "Go." So the maiden went and called the child's mother. Then Pharaoh's daughter said to her, "Take this child away and nurse him for me, and I will give you your wages." So the woman took the child and nursed him. And the child grew, and she brought him to Pharaoh's daughter, and he became her son. So she called his name Moses, saying, "Because I drew him out of the water." – Exodus 2v5-10

God’s sovereignty and provision come across in amazing ways sometimes. There are times when we, like Moses’ mum, haven’t a clue about what to do and just have to take a step of faith and trust God with the result.

I don’t know her heart or how much faith she had, but Jochebed had a dilemma on her hands. Her baby boy was under a death penalty just for being born. She hid him as long as she could before he became impossible to keep quiet. She built a little raft for her son and set him afloat in the river and sent his big sister to watch and see what happened.

I am not a mum, but I do have kids. I can’t imagine the emotions Jochebed felt as she wrapped up Moses, lovingly laid him in the basket, tucked him in, and set him afloat. She knew very well that she might never see her three month old son again. What a difficult decision. I don’t know much about her faith; I suspect that only faith could prompt her to take such a step. I can say with some certainty that tears filed her eyes as he floated away.

Here is where God intervenes. We read in Proverbs that the heart of the king is in the hands of the Lord. God can use even lost rulers to accomplish His divine purpose. Just at that time and just at that place Pharaoh’s daughter was bathing with her servants in attendance. The princess saw the little boat and asked here servants to bring it to her. To their shock they say a three month old Hebrew baby boy!

I know teen girls and I don’t think they have changed much. ‘Oh look at him, he is SO cute.’ ‘Can I hold him?’ ‘I wonder where his mum is?’ ‘Can we keep him?’

The thing is the princess could keep him. She had the authority. He daddy would not deny her even if he was a Hebrew baby.

‘Wait, we have a problem. How are we going to feed him?’ Miriam, Moses’ big sister was there. ‘Say, will I got get a Hebrew woman to feed him for you?’ ‘Good idea,’ replied the princess. When Miriam and Jochebed returned the princess ordered Jochebed to take the baby and take care of him until he was weaned!

Could this all be a series of coincidences? Did Jochebed just happen to put Moses in the water at that place? Did the princess just happen to bathe at that time and place? Was it an elaborate plan on Jochebed’s part?

I don’t know. I do know this. God had a plan for Moses before the foundation of the world. The chance that a Hebrew baby under a death sentence would be taken in to the home of the Pharoah who ordered that death sentence seems pretty slim to me.

God is sovereign. God provides. If He can do this for Jochebed in that situation it seems like He can do it for us today.

No comments: