Saturday 12 September 2009

It’s Not My Fault!

And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?" Then the man said, "The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate." And the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." – Genesis 3v11-13

Have you noticed how nothing ever seems to by anyone’s fault? I heard of (not verified) a teenage girl who became pregnant. When her parents confronted her she said “I don’t know how this happened!’ I don’t know if the story is true or not, but I would not be surprised.

Modern counsellors, psychologists, and such seem to think that the most important thing is that person feels good about himself and not feel guilty for what he does. I watched a programme yesterday about teens that were on their way to serious trouble. They were not willing to take the blame and either were their parents. ‘He’s a good boy,’ one mother wept, ‘he just got in with the wrong crowd!’

I will admit that people do affect our choices. We can get in with the wrong crowd who can influence us, but at the end of the day only one person is responsible for our choices.

I don’t know why people think they need to convince others that they are not to blame for their choices. From the very first sin people have made excuses. Pardon my parrowphrase of the passage above.

God: Adam, what have you done? Who told you were naked? Did you eat from The Tree?

Adam: God, You gave me that woman! And she gave me the fruit, so I ate it. Its not my fault!

God: Eve, what have you done?

Eve: It’s not my fault – the serpent tempted me and I ate. It’s not my fault!

This is the ultimate ‘pass the buck’ scenario. ‘It’s not my fault, it’s hers!’ As long as people have this mindset nothing is ever going to get sorted and society will continue to ‘wax worse and worse.’

More on this later, but sin has results. Our sin has consequences for us and for others. The sooner we realise that the better.

No comments: