Monday 7 September 2009

It is not good that man should be alone

And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." … Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. - Gen 2:18,25

I am one of those guys who can really indentify with the phrase ‘it is not good that a man should be alone.’ I do not like to be alone at all. If I have to take the car into the mechanic, about a 20 minute drive, I want some one to go with me. I don’t like being at home alone for more than a couple of hours. I just don’t like alone-ness.

Not all are as bad as I am, but we are social beings. God knew this on the sixth day when Adam was all alone naming the animals (that must have been a busy day). So, in this recounting of the sixth day of creation we learn that God created Eve from Adam in order to solve the dilemma.

Before sin ever entered into the world God established the very first human institution, the home. ‘A man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife and the two shall be one flesh.’ God’s plan for society is based on the home. While sin has messed that up and tragically far too many homes have been destroyed, this is still God’s plan. We know that is true because the New Testament repeats the same instruction. We have seen over and over that when families are weak society is weak.

I look back over the years since God gave me my ‘helper.’ There have been times when we were ‘alone.’ However, the truth is that when that happens we are alone together. Now matter where we have gone or what we have done in those years we have had each other.

I could not be more grateful for my ‘helpmeet.’ Thank God that He had a way to deal with the aloneness.

1 comment:

Candi said...

She IS a keeper! Love you both!