Tuesday 21 July 2009

He is worthy



And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth." – Revelation 5v9-10

What qualifies the One who is worthy? The One who is worthy is the One who was slain. The One who redeemed us by His blood. The One who redeemed us from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. The One who made us kings and priests to God. The One who will allow us to reign on earth.

Yesterday was the fortieth anniversary of the first lunar landing. Many, including me, consider that one of the greatest human achievements of all time. With less commuting power than a modern mobile phone men were transported safely from the earth to the moon and back home again. At least as amazing was two flights later when a broken spacecraft was somehow able to bring three men back to earth who should have died in space.

I like the space programme and I like history so I find it easy to get caught up in the emotion of this kind of hype and heap praise on what really was quite an achievement. There is nothing really wrong with that, as long as I keep my focus and my balance and remember the only One who is well and truly worth my praise.

The One who could open the great scroll is the only One who deserves my unreserved praise. In the midst of all kinds of excitement and great achievements let us not forget the Lamb of God, the truly Worthy One.

No comments: