Sunday 19 July 2009

Ceaseless Praise

The four living creatures, each having six wings, were full of eyes around and within. And they do not rest day or night, saying: "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come!" Whenever the living creatures give glory and honour and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before Him who sits on the throne and worship Him who lives forever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying: "You are worthy, O Lord, To receive glory and honour and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created." – Revelation 4v8-11

Frances Havergal wrote these amazing words at the very beginning of the hymn ‘Take My Life and Let it Be.’

Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Here is Revelation we have a picture of true ceaseless praise. Gathered around the throne of the Lamb of God are four living creatures and twenty four elders. All day and all night the four creatures say, ‘Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, Who was and is and is to come.’ Whenever they say that, which is always, the twenty four elders say, ‘You are worthy O Lord, to receive glory, and honour, and power; For You created all things, And by Your will the exist and were created.’

I can’t even imagine the joy of hearing this ceaseless praise. It will be a constant reminder of the One who died for us. What a joy that will be.

My problem is that I can see all of this heavenly and spiritual stuff, but it can be tough to live it in my life say after day. Sadly, my life is not always lived in ceaseless praise to the Lamb of God. Sometimes the carks and cares and concerns and cankers of this world get in the way of ceaseless praise. When I allow that to happen my life is miserable because I am more concerned about me that about the Lamb.

O that the moments and the days of my life we totally consecrated to His ceaseless praise. O that my hands, my feet, my voice, my lips, my silver and gold, my intellect, my will, my heart, my love and all of me be dedicated only to life of His praise!

No comments: