Saturday 18 July 2009

Dining with Jesus

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. – Revelation 3v20

I love sharing meals with friends whether it as our house or theirs or at a restaurant. It is such a nice way to fellowship. A couple of days ago some dear friends came over and brought dinner here. The food was great; there is no doubt about that. Even better was the amazing fellowship. We sat and talked and laughed and shared about all kinds of things, some everyday and mundane and some of them spiritual. It was just a really good time.

How rude it would have been if during that dinner I had just got up and left the room to do something else. That would have shown total disregard for my friends. It would have indicated to them that they really were not important.

As Christians we have the wonderful promise assurance that when we got saved Jesus came in to our lives. This particular verse personalises it and makes it even more precious when we read of His promise to dine with us.

It is tragic how often we - no let me be more specific here. It is sad how often I simply get up from the spiritual table of fellowship with Him and walk off on my own to do my own thing. In a sense I just get up from the table and disappear.

How rude is that? How can I do that? When I do that kind of thing I am showing Jesus the same kind of contempt that I would show a friend if I got up from the table and left them sitting there. It shows that my own personal thoughts and desires are more important than our fellowship.

Think about that for a second. Jesus, who gave everything for me is sitting at my table and I get up and leave Him. How can I treat the One who died for me that way? I have the opportunity to eat with the Designer, Creator, and Sustainer of the universe. I have the chance to dine with my Saviour, and yet I choose to ignore Him.

It doesn’t get much worse that that.

No comments: