Monday 8 December 2008

To speak evil of no one

Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. – Titus 3v1-2

I realise that sometimes we must speak out about false teachers. I realise that sometimes we have to expose error. I realise that sometimes we must speak out against dangerous doctrines and people who espouse them.

And yet the word of God is clear that this kind of speech cannot be our normal practice. We as Christians can be quite accomplished tearing people up with our tongues. Sometimes we think that the best way fro us to look good is to make others look bad.

Here though Paul makes it very clear in his words to Timothy – ‘speak evil of no one.’ I think part of the key here that we speak evil of their actions or their teachings without speaking evil of them. Our job is to seek peace, not conflict. We are to seek humility in our dealings – not arrogance.

What would my life and testimony be like if I just took these simple words to heart? What if I determined, by the grace of God not to let my feelings and emotions get in the way and if I acted in humility instead of self-centredness?

‘Speak evil of no one’ is quite a challenge.

No comments: