Saturday 6 December 2008

His own peculiar people

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.. – Titus 2v14

I realise that the word ‘peculiar’ does not mean the same thing that it did in 1611. Today of course it means unusual, or something that is not quite right. When something is not quite right we might say, ‘That’s mighty peculiar,’ but in 1611 readers would have thought something else.

To the average reader in the early 17th century the word ‘peculiar’ meant a person’s special possession. This particular English word was taken from the Latin word ‘peculium.’ The word meant ‘private property’ but originally it meant one’s own cattle, which was the valuable of possessions. It seems that the Greek word here means the same as peculium.

I think the meaning is clear – we are the precious of God’s possessions. Nothing means more to Him than us.

So what does that say when I sin? Am I really acting like His most treasured possession, or am I acting more like I still belong to me.

The verses around this one tell us how his special private property is supposed to act. Do we really act like God’s peculiar people? Do people see that in us, or do they see us acting like we belong to someone else?

1 comment:

Holly said...

ouch