Sunday 14 December 2008

Put it on my account

If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. – Philemon 1v17-18

Paul knew that it would not be easy for Philemon to accent Onesimus as a brother and an equal. Servitude in those days was often a way to settle a debt. From the context here it looks like Onesimus was such a ‘slave’ who ran away before all of his debts were paid.

Onesimus had become a brother in Christ. Paul was willing to go out of his way to make sure that Philemon and Onesimus had things sorted out. Paul’s words were simple enough – ‘if you count me as a partner in Christ receive Onesimus back just like you would receive me.’

He took it further though – ‘if he still owes you anything put it on my account.’ It is hard to argue with those words or that attitude.

Paul was trying to set an example. He was willing to take on Onesimus debts even if he was not involved at all. I don’t know if sarcasm was ever a part of Paul’s speech, but it almost seems it here because he goes on to say, ‘you owe me your own self besides.’

Here is a great lesson in forgiveness. It does not appear to be much room for an attitude that says, “you owe me this or that and I am going to get it back!’

Think of the debt Jesus forgave us. Do we have any room to hold the debts of others against them?

No comments: