Tuesday 17 June 2008

With pacience supportinge ech other in charite,

…with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, - Ephesians 4v2

I chose Wycliffe’s translation for the title of this entry just because I like it. Yesterday I talked about lowliness. There are a couple more words that follow; gentleness and longsuffering. Each of these is tied into humility and unity.

I am focusing on the next phrase though because it is so timely. The Kew King James renders it as above. The AV has “Forbearing one another in love.” But I like the way Wycliffe has it, but I will update it for modern English, “with patience supporting each other in love.” (Although I personally prefer ‘charity’ there)

I always need to be reminded to lovingly and patiently support others. However today I am reminded of the blessing of being the recipient of said loving and patient support.

I know me. I know that there are times when I can be a very difficult person to lovingly and patiently support. Sometimes I speak or act without thinking through the consequences. When those times come I am glad that there are others who will heed the words of this passage.

Last night I needed to be the recipient of this admonition. We were with friends when something happened that irritated me, I was distracted by something else, and I spoke out in frustration. I was wrong in dealing with the situation the way I did. I needed the patient forbearing talked about here. Thankfully our friends were willing to “patiently support” me.

It is good to be reminded of my responsibility to bear with others, but is also a blessing to be on the receiving end.

No comments: