Friday 13 June 2008

Rooted and grounded in love

…that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, - Ephesians 3v17

There is a lot I want to say about these few verses, yet this time through the Bible I am looking for little nuggets and trying to glean little bits that really “jump out” at me.

It is almost possible in this marvellous and grandiose passage of scripture on knowing the fullness of Christ and His dwelling in us to miss this one little phrase – “…you, being rooted and grounded in love…”

Although taken from the middle of a sentence, I think there is a truth here that we don’t want to miss. Paul is going to go on to understanding the fullness of God’s love for us. Here he says that those lofty heights of knowledge begin with a certain basic foundation. “Rooted and grounded in love.” Paul writes.

I guess my point today is that we need to always be aware of our roots. Sometimes, in a rush to contend for the faith we can forget our very foundation. It appears that unless we do stick to our foundations we can never really grasp the fullness of His love for us.

No comments: