Monday 9 June 2008

The household of God

Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, - Ephesians 2v19

“I’m so glad I’m a part of the family of God.” These lyrics ring out as I read this passage.

Before I get to that let me say that as I read this passage I find amazing that we are citizens in God’s kingdom. At salvation we were naturalised into a new citizenship. What a wonderful blessing God provides for us!

Even more precious are words that follow, ‘…and members of the household of God.’ This simple truth, that we can almost take for granted if we are not careful, is astounding. From all over the world, from every nation, every tongue, every race, every colour, every creed, and every background God adopts into His family all those who put their faith in Him.

I can almost picture in my mind’s eye a vast family reunion. Children are running around, folks are grouped together chatting, some are playing games, maybe in one room people are gathered around the piano singing songs, someone is grilling on the barbecue, and there is just a wonderful spirit of family unity. Although the people here are male and female, tall and short, red, yellow, black and white, old and young, dressed in western clothes, robes, and every other garment imaginable, there is still a resemblance. As we look closer we see that makes them all alike. There is something about their appearance and their demeanour. It is an intangible, but something makes them look alike. Then we see the Master of the house, King Jesus. In my mind I see Him sitting with children gathered all around, holding as many on His lap as will fit, laughing with them and telling them wonderful stories.

When he looks up, and the children look up, then the adults, we see what draws them together. The all have His joy abounding in their faces. We see eyes sparkling with the joy of the Lord. They all resemble each other because they all resemble Jesus!

What a marvellous household we have, even here on earth. Wherever we travel we find our brothers and sisters. Their language and customs may differ, but we know that we are with family.

I am indeed glad I am part of the family of God!

1 comment:

Candi said...

This is so true and such a blessing! No matter where you go, when you meet a fellow Follower, there is that instant "connection." You may not end up best friends here on earth, but there is definitely that special something that gives you an instant bond/commonality. I really felt that when I visited your church - it was immediately "family." And heaven will be that times 1 million!