Tuesday 22 April 2008

My strength is sufficient for you

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. – 2 Corinthians 12v9

I don’t know what Paul’s affliction was. Paul had, humanly speaking, a lot to brag about. In order to remind his of who he was and keep humble God allowed him to have something that Paul called his, “thorn in the flesh.” He asked God three times to take it away, but God chose not to take it a way.

Instead, God gave him these amazing words of comfort, “My grace is sufficient for you, my strength is made perfect in your weakness.” I am only going to look at the first half of the verse today, that part that deal with this marvellous answer by God.

We don’t always feel like God’s grace is sufficient do we? Sometimes it seems like things are so bad that we can’t breathe. The pressures are so bad and the trial so strong that we just want to give up. From this verse it is clear is that is just where we need to be in order for God to show us His strength. His strength is only made perfect when we are so weak that we can’t do anything about it. This in when God says, “My grace is sufficient for you.”

This promise is just as real as John 3v16. If I believe that I was saved the day that Christ saved me than I can believe that His strength is sufficient for me in my day of weakness. God shows His power when we are at the end of our ropes and can’t do anything else.

What are you facing? At the end of your rope? Don’t see any way? No human answer? His grace is sufficient – now is the time for Him to show His strength.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)

Candi said...

Good reminder - especially for those days when I just want to pull the covers over my head and disappear.