Thursday 3 April 2008

According to the flesh

Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 2 Corinthians 5v16

Something happened yesterday that really made this passage come to light for me. We were in Dublin with a visiting youth group from Minnesota. We had been there for a few hours, I was getting hungry, and my broken toe was hurting. As we stopped for one last shop before lunch a man walked up into us and began asking for something. He was so drunk he could hardly stand, much less walk. I am ashamed at my first response. I was put off that this drunk would bother us and possibly disturb our visitors. I tried to scare him off and was very mean to him.

Suddenly, God spoke to my heart. What was compelling my actions? Sadly it was hunger, tiredness, my sore toe, and even embarrassment before our visitors. I certainly was not being constrained by the love of Christ. I could not do much for this poor chap, I got him safely across the quays and over the Ha’penny bridge, but he was so drunk I could never talk to him, I just gave him my card and asked him to ring me when he was sober.

I knew today’s verse was coming while all this was going on. I realised that far too often in my life I still regard people according to the flesh. What did my eyes see - my eyes of flesh? I saw a dirty, smelly, stumbling drunk with hands and fingers stained with tobacco. I did not even want to touch him when he reached out to thank me and shake my hand.

But how did Jesus see him? I think Jesus saw a sin scarred soul that He gave His life for. I think Jesus saw a man who needed Him desperately. I think Jesus saw a man that He alone could help.

I want to see men the way Jesus did. I don’t want to regard them according to the flesh, but according to the invisible things that count for eternity.

No comments: