Sunday 16 September 2007

They had been with Jesus

“Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.” - Acts 4v13-14

How did Peter and John do it? How did these uneducated and untrained fishermen put to silence the most learned Bible scholars of the day? First the authorities were amazed that these men were so bold and clear in their stand for Christ. They realised that there was only one explanation – these men had been with Jesus. That had to be the reason!

Then there were confronted with the very real fact of the healed man. They had no answer; they could say nothing.

Two things stick out here that I think we can apply. First and foremost is that these men had their lives changed because they had been with Jesus. I have to ask myself, is my life is always a reflection of the fact that I have been with Jesus? When people see them me do they think, “Oh, he has been with Jesus?”

God used these men to heal the man with them. God gave the apostles signs and wonders that He may never give us in order to confirm their message. Today God gives is His word to do the same. I think we can make another application here. Does my life have a life changing impact on others around me? Are others impacted because I have been with Jesus?

Some things just can’t be answered potential critics – spending time with Jesus brings those things to fruition.

No comments: