Sunday 2 September 2007

They did not know the Scripture

“For as yet they knew not the Scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.” - John 20v9

When I first read this I was very critical of John and Peter. How could they possibly not know the Scripture that Jesus would rise from the dead? Jesus had told them numerous times. One would think that once His prophecy of His death came true that the other shoe would fall and they would know that the rest would come true as well. It seems that no one in the entire group over that dark weekend reminded them of Hi words, “For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth” After all, even the Pharisees remembered this (Matthew 27v62). Somehow, they really missed the boat.

Then I think of how often I don’t really “know” the Scriptures I say I do. For example, the Bible, “Be careful for nothing…’ and yet I am full of cares and concerns. The Bible says, “casting all your cares on Him for He cares for you,” and I keep all my cares on me. I say I know the Scripture, but when I act like this am I any better that John and Peter?

No comments: