Thursday 27 September 2007

How can I unless someone guides me?

“And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides me?" And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.” - Acts 8v31

I am amazed at how much God cares about “the one.” The shepherd left 99 sheep to go after the one. The father apparently spent much of his time looking at for his one prodigal son. Here we find another instance of how important “one” is to God.

Somewhere in the desert there was a single chariot. In that chariot was a government official, a eunuch from the queen of Ethiopia’s court. Somewhere along the way, perhaps on an embassage of some sort he had acquired a scroll from the prophet Isaiah. He just couldn’t make sense of what he was saying.

The picture can almost be humorous. I can almost see this big black government official, somewhere in the desert near an oasis, stopped in his official chariot. As he stands there, sweat pouring off his face, dressed in expensive gear, fully kitted out, he holds a scroll. He peers over it, scratching his head in confusion.

Amazingly, God didn’t miss this scene. This one man was worth something to God. Some might say, “Its only one man. What a waste, lets go to a big city, or at least a town, or maybe even a small village, but one man? Surely we can make better use of God’s time than to go after one man!: God saw it differently – here was one precious soul, searching for God.

It was so important that the Holy Spirit moved Philip to go to him. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked. “How can I, unless someone shows me?” the man replied, “Please join me and explain it to me.”

How many individuals are out there in their homes, classrooms, offices, and work cubicles waiting for some one to come and explain God to them. Every single one is of value – one soul is surely worth it to God.

1 comment:

The Lovable Southern Baptist said...

Very well put. I have a section on my website about witnessing, but it's very basic. We all need to do better at spreading God's Word.