Friday 15 December 2006

The salvation of a king

“And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honored him that liveth forever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation: And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honor and brightness returned unto me; and my counselors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me. Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.” - Daniel 4v34-37

Daniel chapter four is the amazing testimony of a king who learned to trust the Lord. Nebuchadnezzar had already had dealings with the Lord and had seen His and at work with Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego. In this section he tells what it took to make his head knowledge of God into heart knowledge.

The king had a dream that only David of course could interpret. The dream was a warning from God that his mighty kingdom would come to an end because of His pride. At first it appeared that Nebuchadnezzar was a bit rattled by the news, but a year later he is still wandering though his magnificent gardens admiring all the he had done. He was more full of pride and self-assurance than he ever had been. God humbled him by fulfilling his nightmare and sending to live among the animals.

Finally the king had had enough. It was clear at last that he was not as important as he thought he was. He acknowledged the realty of a God who ruled in the kingdom of men. After all of his talk and thoughts of God in his head, he now knew God in his heart.

What kept from knowing God all along? It was his sinful pride, but praise God that those who walk in pride He is able to bring down. Praise God when He deals with our pride so that we can walk in fellowship with Him!

No comments: