Monday 30 October 2006

The joy of my heart


“Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.” - Jeremiah 15:16

What is the true joy of our hearts? Sometimes we joy over the success of our sports teams. We can joy in our possessions or our power. We can joy in so many things. We can also joy in good things like our family, our church, or our friends. Not all of these things are bad things to rejoice in, but there is one thing that should be the true “joy of our hearts”

Jeremiah had it right. In the midst of all the troubles around him, Jeremiah found a place of comfort and absolute joy. It was not in any of his situations or surroundings – he found his joy in the word of God, calling it the, “joy and rejoicing of my heart.”

We all trust God’s word and put our faith in what God has to say there, but how often can we honestly say that God’s word is our own joy and the rejoicing of our hearts? Do we find absolute joy and confidence there? Do we find joy in its challenges as well as in its comforts?

Lord, make your word my joy and the rejoicing of my heart!

No comments: