Monday 11 September 2006

Here am I Lord, send me

“Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.” - Isaiah 6v8

After Isaiah saw the holiness of God and His glory filling the earth he was convicted of his own sinfulness – “woe is me, for I am undone.” At this stage he knew that he had no right and no ability to stand before God. He fell on his face before God in his unworthiness. God saw his humility and his brokenness and sent an angel to purge him of his sin.

Up to this point Isaiah was not a fit vessel to serve God because of his wickedness. Once he was cleansed he heard the call of God – “Who will I send and who will go for us?” When Isaiah heard this call he responded as we all should – “Here am I, send me.”
Just like was looking for people to serve Him in Isaiah’s day He is still looking for them today. God is still calling out “Who will go for?” It is easy enough to say “Here am I, send me,” in a general sense, but are willing to say it when it comes to specific people around us? Are we willing to let God send us to our friends and neighbours who might be put off by His message? Do we really have the courage to say, “Here am I, send me?” Or are those only vain words that sound good?

No comments: