Monday 21 August 2006

I was only kidding

“As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, So is the man that deceiveth his neighbor, and saith, Am not I in sport?” - Proverbs 26v18-19

One of the terms in the new phenomena which is IMing and text messaging is the little phrase “jk”. It usually comes just after a cutting remark, a little bit of slagging, or a perceived insult. It is something that has been going on for a long time. It stands for “just kidding” and it is the same thing as when we cay something, perhaps innocently, then we say “I was only kidding” when we see that it was not taken well.

Now, we can’t say good natured ribbing is always wrong, but God does warn against it. Here He says that “I was only joking” does not always reverse the damage that was done. In fact, he likens one who does it to a “madman” who is shooting out flaming arrows.

Lets be careful about how we use – “I was only kidding.”

No comments: