Tuesday 4 April 2006

If I perish I perish

“Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.” - Esther 4v16

Esther and her Uncle Mordecai are interesting figures. Up until this point it appears that they were happy enough to just blend in with the crowd and not “rock the boat.”

However, the day came when Mordecai would not bow down to the Haman. This was the beginning of their troubles. We don’t know why Haman would not bow down, perhaps it was simply pride, but judging by his near contemporaries actions it would appear that he would not bow down because he was a Jew and only God was worthy of his veneration.

Later, when the whole nation of Israel was threatened he went to his niece to ask her to go to the king for them. There is something interesting about her response once she decided to go – “If I perish I perish” was her response. Was it simply national pride and patriotism, or was it a willingness to die for her God? We really don’t know, but regardless she showed a rare courage in her willingness to die. She showed the kind of courage that God’s people need today in the face of tremendous opposition.

No comments: