Tuesday 8 November 2005

Now surely God will bless me!

“Then said Micah, Now know I that the LORD will do me good, seeing I have a Levite to my priest.” - Judges 17v13

Micah was a Jew living in Samaria. One day a Levite showed up at his door looking for a place to stay. Micah and the priest came up with a “great” plan. Micah would hire the Levite as his own personal priest and the priest would live there with him. Micah thought, “Now God will bless me since I have a priest living with me!”

What a mess! Micah thought he could force God to bless him because he had his own personal priest and the priest prostituted his ministry for money! How carnal God’s people had become, they thought they could put God in a box and force Him to bless them by their own standards.

How sad it is when we think we can make God bless us! Sometimes we fall into a trap thinking that if we do all the right things God MUST bless us, according to our definition of blessing.

We never know what God is doing in our lives. He always knows what is best – He acts and blesses according to what He knows is best for us. We can never “make” Him bless us by what we do.

No comments: